Monday, November 26, 2012

30th Birthdizzy: Victorian Style

The only thing Victorian about my 30th birthdizzy shenanigans was the fact that we were at the Biltmore Estate. And the Vanderbilts were Victorian, back when they were alive during the Victorian age. I probably should have been a Victorian, at least that's what I tell myself when people don't understand my reference to my dance card. But then again, I wouldn't have enjoyed those high collared, corset dresses. I would have, however, enjoyed the shower in the gym at the Biltmore, that is for sure. So anyway, in order to celebrate, three of my best girls and I headed to Asheville for a day of gallivanting and a night of luxury at the Inn on Biltmore. I had found an awesome deal online that included passes to the house and breakfast for all and, much to our surprise,  it did not include cutting off our arms.

Saturday morning, Emily and I headed to Asheville where we met up with Natalie at the Inn. Since Eli couldn't join us until later that night, we decided to go eat at the Bistro. It's pretty smart on the Biltmore's part to provide its guests with a free shuttle from the Inn to anywhere on the property, because I don't know if you're aware, but there is an award winning winery on site. And hello. What birthday girl doesn't love a winery. After several glasses of wine to accompany our meals, we realized we had somehow missed the window of time to see the house. So we opted to just go to the winery. Where we proceeded to spend approximately the next 3 hours. Here's the thing about the winery there. Ok a few things worth noting: 1. it's free. 2. they recommend 7-8 wines BUT there really is no limit. 3. pretty much all of their wines are on the tasting menu. 4. you can do repeat tastes  5. YOU CAN STAY ALL DAY.

Q: Guess who was not in heaven?
A: I do not know the answer to that because they were not with us.

After that event, it was time to prepare for dinner. Eli was going to meet us at the Inn around 730, so naturally we killed time at the Inn's bar.
After Eli got there, we took a van cab into downtown Asheville for dinner at a fancy little number. Fun fact: our cabbie was named Jeff (I think) and he was not a hippie and when asked if he was a hippie, he told us he hated "that shit." He was also wearing camo from head to toe. After dinner, our friend Brock (who IS a hippie) took us to experience some of the local scene before we called it a night around midnight. Hey, don't hate. When you go to a winery all day, you have no desire to stay out all night with the cool kids.

Sunday morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the Inn and then my friends were able to take part in the following activities with their fave birthdizzy girl:

a) photo op in front of the house


b) another photo op inside the house (clearly they had won the meredith lottery this day)











 3) Natalie got to hear why it was clearly colonel mustard, with the candle stick, in the conservatory (if you don't get that, then you have nothing in common with me)













4) Emily got to sit amongst the wildflowers with me

5) Eli got to take a picture with me in front of the larget poinsetta tree I have ever seen. We sent this picture to mom because we knew she would love seeing Eli acting normal.














6) and then we topped off the morning with a nice tree climb because you KNOW that is what victorian children did. and then they probably took showers in that awesome basement shower, but that's neither here nor there. dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment