Thursday, April 21, 2011

words (son) of a preacher man

My favorite preacher of all time, Steven Furtick, said something during one of his recent sermons that has really stuck with me over the past few days. My mom had called and said she had been watching him on tv (when did he become a tv preacher?!) and he said something along the lines of: wherever you set your foot, God has touched it and has a plan. I sort of blew it off. later that evening, I was listening to one of his sermons online and it just so happened to be the same sermon. After hearing this for a second time, I started reflecting. and I haven't stopped mulling over this since.

I've been back in Raleigh for a little over two months now. And I'd be lying if I said I was completely content with my move. I've had several breakdowns the past few months and said multiple times that I made the wrong decision. I feel like a failure in so many ways. I'm very angry with God for where I am in my life. I feel like I've been through enough and frankly, I don't feel like I deserve a lot of the crap that comes my way. Yes, I'm being completely self centered here. I am well aware of the tragedy, the real tragedy, in life that surrounds me. In the big picture, I don't have any problems. In the grand scheme of things, I've had nothing but goodness compared to what some people experience in their lives. But that doesn't mean I don't still ache over things that have happened or long for things that haven't. I know I'm being a whiney baby. I've questioned my expectations. I thought I had evaluated them before I moved but apparently, I didn't. Did I expect things to be the same when I moved back? Yes. I think I did. Did I expect I'd be closer to my NC friends when I lived far away? No. But I feel like I was. Did I expect this adjustment to be hard? Not at all. I'm Carolina born and Carolina bred. It was so easy for me to pick up and move to FL and not look back. This time though, I've picked up and moved home and yet, I keep looking back. My time in FL was ... absolutely wonderful. I miss so very much about it.

At the end of the day, I'm a believer and perhaps Steven's message was exactly what I needed to hear when I heard it. Actually, that's what I have always said about his church. Every Sunday, I would get smacked in the face with exactly what I needed to hear. Same is true for his blogs. And apparently his sermons while cleaning my house. I know I WILL eventually snap out of this sadly funk I've been in for the past few months. But, until then, I will (and you should) remember these thoughts from the preacher man:

1. wherever you set your foot, God has touched it and has a plan.
2. the goal in life isn't to make it to a point where we can breathe easy. It's to get to Heaven breathless.
3. God is doing more in you and through you in your mountains and your valleys than you can possibly imagine.
4. it's the scenes that we all want to skip that produce the endings we all want to experience.
5. just because God takes you on a detour, it doesn’t mean He’s changed His mind about your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment