Monday, August 6, 2012

my little yentas


a couple of weekends ago, I agreed to babysit Glenda for my kid sister while she paraded around the beach like a carefree teenager with no responsibilities. Little did I know what I was in for. I was telling a coworker that I would be babysitting Glenda and Barbara and I would be going to pick her up in Greensboro that afternoon (that's the kind of babysitter I am...I come to you). My coworker said "they sound like two jewish women." I said "well, they both have beards too so I guess they kind of look like two jewish women!" that was about as funny as the babysitting experience got.

Glenda is very sweet. She loves to lay. Barbara is very sweet. She does not love to lay. Barbara loves toys. Glenda loves toys only when they are in Barbara's mouth. The constant bickering and yapping these two did was enough to make my head swim. Not to mention I was already feeling sorry for myself. A word to the wise: don't babysit two dogs on a weekend when you already feel sorry for yourself. You'll be wanting to slit your wrists in no time. Glenda was on edge because she didn't know the lay of the land. Barbara was on edge because she was convinced Glenda would steal her fabrics the minute she turned her head. Glenda barked at every noise she heard. Barbara barked because she had to be in charge. I finally decided I had had enough, and off to their crates they went for nap time. I figured since they do this at doggy day camp, there was no reason they couldn't do this at the babysitter's house. As they lay in their crates and I surveyed the mess that was my house, I realized:

i was running a doggy day camp. 

there are a lot of things I want to do with my life. So many in fact that I have trouble just picking one. But I will tell you that this experience confirmed one thing I did know:  opening a doggy day camp has never been on my list of things I want to do with my life and it will never be on my list for as long as I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment