Thursday, June 30, 2011

some motherly words of love

on Tuesday, my mom told me to stop acting like i was a pariah. now, although I was an English major (arguably the hardest major at my alma mater thank you very much), I had to look this up. I didn't recall it from my SAT verbal flash cards. Granted, I had to have a former business major explain to me the differences between an adverb, verb, noun and adjective while playing Mad Libs in Boston last weekend, but that's beside the point.

According to dictionary dot com, a puh-rahy-uh is an outcast, any person or animal that is generally despised or avoided, or a member of a low caste in southern India and Burma. I think it's fairly obvious that I am none of these.

on Wednesday, a co-worker of mine told me she was a pariah because her cube is off in the wilderness of office space. Another co-worker asked what a pariah is. My first co-worker said "you know. an outcast. an untouchable." As I have already said, I am nowhere near an outcast.

and I am definitely not an untouchable. As a matter of fact, I am extremely touchable. i think it's fair to say my mother was wrong. but only this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment