Monday, December 19, 2011

grateful.

(I thought I posted this. Turns out I really only hit the save button. So, here you go)

This morning my mom told me instead of complaining about how crazy I feel I'm going at work right now (it's hard not to have my crazy turned up a notch at end of quarter), I should be grateful. Grateful that people rely on me. Depend on me. Expect things of me.

I guess my mother has a point.

It's the season of thanksgiving and it's too easy to get caught up in the humdrum of daily life. Sure, I give praises of thanksgiving - who doesn't when they get something they really want (or say, win the lottery)? But how often do we really contemplate the things for which we are grateful? And I don't mean saying thank you to the girl at the McDonalds drive thru when she gives you exactly what you ordered. I know I don't show true gratitude and appreciation the way I should, especially for the little things that make my cozy little life extra enjoyable. Don't get me wrong. I need to be more grateful for the big things in my life. But the little things, the ones that often get overlooked, need some appreciation too.

So today, I am extraordinarily grateful for $5 yoga classes.
A job where I can dress like I'm 15 and not get sent home (yes. I have been sent home before because of my outfit of choice).
Barbara the Barbarian.
My little red volvo.
A secret pen pal.
Bojangles for every day I want to eat my feelings.
Hearing aides.
Pocket Bible.
Pocket Constitution.
Pockets in general.
Fascinating conversations with my new preacher friend who I am convinced I want to be just like when I grow up.
Contacts.
Gelato pie.
Upcoming adventures.
Fingernail polish.
Wine.
Cheeseburgers.
Picture Calendars.
Homemade cds.
Fireplaces.
Scarves and gloves.
Leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment