Tuesday, March 20, 2012

why is your mood ring ALWAYS black?


this is the meredith college class ring. there is a lot of tradition around it. YOU KNOW. you don't get it until you're a junior. it's a big offense (and an expensive one) to wear prior to ring dinner. There's a whole turning your ring portion of graduation. i mean, this ring is a big deal. and just to add to the tradition, I have my mom's ring. Yes, my mom went to Meredith. yes, my name is Meredith. Yes, I had a roommate named Meredith. yes we were both synchronized swimmers. But that is neither here nor there. It's important to note that I wear my Meredith ring every day. Usually I sleep in it. It's that big of a deal.

Now. I think we all know that every now and then I wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Hard to really imagine, but trust. it is possible. and it does happen from time to time. When I decided to move back in with my parents a few years ago, one of my coworkers asked me if this meant my mom was going to make me breakfast every morning before I came to work. I said "why would she do that? I AM an adult ya know." He said "Your mood ring is always black. I was just thinking maybe you eating breakfast before coming to work might be good for everyone around here." I was offended. Not that he would insult my disposition but that he would mistake my Meredith ring for a MOOD ring!

Aren't mood rings in the shapes of moons and stars and don't they cost like 5.99 at Claire's (as opposed to five HUNDY at Jostens)? And do mood rings REALLY tell you the truth about your mood?

And then.

One of my sales reps called me and asked me what color my mood ring was because he didn't want to talk to me if it was black. He didn't even know about my ring!

But apparently, what he DOES know about are my moods.

Isn't it ironic.

1 comment: