Thursday, May 26, 2011

57 percent of Americans consider being called a geek a compliment

did you know yesterday was International Geek Pride Day? Yeah, me either (but apparently, it is connected to the world premiere date of Star Wars. Imagine that). Not until I was doing my nightly ABC News reading on my blasted iPhone did I realize this. But then I got so excited. Because I.Love.Geeks. As a matter of fact, I'm currently reading one of my fave author's newest book, The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth (buy it here and tell Alexandra I sent you!). Plus, we all know my fave webstore to buy sercies for people is Think Geek. Seriously, check out the Desktop Carnivorous Plant Set. it is guaranteed to not make anyone mad or frustrated. And, to further prove my love of geeks, I am going to go out on a limb here and confess that there is a handful of geeks at my company that I absolutely adore. and would probably LARP with any day (ooo lah lah but really only because I love dressing up and I know it would provide me some hysterical content).

Wikipedia has some interesting thoughts on what it means to be a geek. It explains that "The word geek is a slang term, with different meanings ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts." Now, let's get one thing straight: in all my years of oogling carnies, never have I ever, not even once, considered a carnie to be a geek. A freak maybe. but definitely not a geek (please do not mistake this to mean that geek does not equal freak, because in some cases, it does. but in general, the terms are not synonymous). It even goes on to describe the dress code for geeks as "geek chic". Wait a minute...I have black rimmed glasses. I know about Perl and her insults. And I know html....One thing Wikipedia's description of "geek chic" doesn't say is how happy it makes the Mere Mere that the geeks have not adopted wearing girl jeans. I would gladly take high waisted, tall butt jeans over girl jeans on a dude any day. Well, maybe that's a false truth. Because the Biebs wears girl jeans. And I love him. And we all know how much I love designer jeans on the mens.

My best friend Natalie and I have A LOT thoughts on geeks (mainly that they are probably all packin'...and we're talking about heat here). She's actually the one that introduced me to Revenge of the Nerds, but we all know nerds and geeks shouldn't be confused. Richard Clarke, whomever that is (yes I know this is underlined) said the difference between nerds and geeks is "geeks get it done." (Not gonna lie. I know a few geeks I wouldn't mind taking it upon themselves to get it done). So, to all the geeks out there (and specifically my friends on the Island) - I admit it. I am pretty head over heels for you. Just don't expect me to love my iPhone, or to know anything at all about Star Wars, Star Trek, Space Jam, bots, servers, clouds, you get my drift.

We met in a chat room, now our love can fully bloom... Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make me salvivate

No comments:

Post a Comment