Wednesday, May 18, 2011

July 20, 1999 (and July 26, 1999)

I came across this really funny old diary. This diary thing didn't last long - apparently the parents read it and pulled the author out of school to see if there was anything she wanted to tell them (there wasn't), so she stopped confiding in this wide mouth frog. However, the confessions she did make to it are pretty hysterical. For (a tame) example:

July 20, 1999:
Dear Diary,
I haven't written in a few days. Guess what! Joey McIntyre is coming to Carowinds! I heard it on the radio, so I called Drew (the DJ). He started making fun of me for wanting to go so bad. He asked me what I was doing so I told him I was writing a letter to my friend about my trip to Myrtle Beach. He said he wanted to hear it, so I told him about how I picked up a hot guy at the Grand Prix and how he had given us free tickets. Drew said I must have just been using the guy. I was like "no, he was a real nice guy. He's a preacher's kid." Drew said his dad was a preacher's kid and he had just called him from the county jail. I was like "you're such a dork Drew." Then he told me to request something so I requested New Kids on the Block. He just laughed and told me to request the new BoyZone. So I did. A few minutes later, Drew had put it on the radio! I had no idea he was even recording it. So I called him back and told him just for that, he should give me free Joey tickets. He said to call back tomorrow night and he would try to hook me up! How cool is that!

and don't forget July 26, 1999:
Dear Diary,
I got Joey McIntyre tickets. I ended up having to buy them. Second row, center stage. It only cost me 81.00. I am so excited. Joey is so fine.
_________________
Now, clearly this chick was the epitome of cool in high school. But I take several exceptions to this diary entry. First, let me show you a picture of Joey from 1999.

I wouldn't exactly call this "fine." But then again, who even uses the word fine to describe someone anymore? Second, the Grand Prix, Carowinds, Myrtle Beach. If you know me, you know that I take exception to all of these. Third, who pays 81 bucks to see Joey McIntyre? I remember this day. I remember calling my friend Allyson (who was going with me) and squealing in excitement. I even located my Joey McIntyre barbie doll (pants off, jacket on) to take with me in hopes he would sign it. Fourth, Boyzone. Who the heck is Boyzone?

Now let me show you what happens when girls like this (who may or may not have been forbidden to see the New Kids in concert as children and may or may not have had their dreams crushed when the Joey McIntyre shows at Carowinds got canceled) have all their dreams come true as young, very professional adults (that may or may have had their signs confiscated by security upon entering the show). And you make fun of me for my Bieber crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment